Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tamarind

If you ever wanted to eat a fruit that tasted like a warhead, this would be it. This one is really sour – think a pulpy, fibrous, sour-sweet warhead.




I've had it in sauces, in juices, but never before straight from the pod. Here's how you eat it:

You break open the pod.




You remove the strings. This is a really horrible crude picture. Sorry.




And then you eat it.  This thing was really sour. I've actually been salivating the whole time I've been writing.

I forgot to take a picture of the aftermath, but it would theoretically look like this:

The seeds are large and smooth and can be made into jewelry.  Source

 
I love the flavor though. I've had it in a juice (in south Florida) – slightly sweetened and chilled with ice, and it was a really great tangy, refreshing drink.

Tamarind juice (no added sugar this particular batch) from Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens, Florida



Got these from a small grocery store in Union City, CA, but I've seen this in San Francisco groceries too.

I swear my next post will not be about fruit. 

4 comments:

  1. I LOOOOOVE tamarinds. I didn't know the seeds could be turned into jewelry though!. How do the seeds not get gross?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait can you do something for a Pepino? Could you post where Pepinos live and how to eat them? If you could, that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter
    group? There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Cheers

    Here is my blog post :: sectional

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would
    really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where
    you got your design. Appreciate it

    Feel free to visit my homepage; balseros

    ReplyDelete