Monday, September 10, 2012

Fresh Young Coconut

Coconut products were rare to see a few years back, but are everywhere on store shelves now: coconut water, coconut butter, coconut oil, and my favorite – young coconut.

(And ok, I know they're not technically a fruit [they're a giant seed], but for all intents and purposes I'm going to incorrectly label this post.)

Here's the best way to eat them:

Get a fresh young coconut. You can find them at Whole Foods or Asian grocery stores.



Your mother, who is stronger than you, will hack off the top of the coconut with her giant butcher's cleaver.

 You stick in a straw to drink all the coconut water. It will be sweet and nutty. You'll like it if you like coconut water.



When you're done drinking all the coconut water, you (i.e. your mom) can continue hacking away at the top to reveal the coconut flesh inside.

To be fair, I had a traumatizing accident with a butternut squash a few years back, so I don't feel that bad that I couldn't do it myself.

When young, coconut meat is jelly-like and slightly transparent; when mature, it becomes hard and chewy – it's the stuff shredded coconut is made from.

The young flesh is extremely spoonable. You can eat it straight (which I love to do), or use it as a base for smoothies, fruit salads, or even ice cream (mMM).

That was my tutorial for the day.

1 comment:

  1. i love coconuts.I like the coconut water..the coconut meat is so good..but what is its shelf life ..how long will the product be stored..Is there any solution used in order to make the outside/skin of coconu t stay "white"? Thanks

    ReplyDelete